Friday, September 17, 2010

He dun kilt him a baar!!!

Well, I had to get permission to post these pictures because I wasn't sure if Dad wanted to be advertised on the world wide web! :)

For eight years now, Dad has been putting in for a hunting tag for black bear. This year, he finally got a tag! He spent something like eight weeks baiting (going out every day and putting out bait) and on opening morning, he shot this bear a half hour after the season started.

I know some of you aren't that big into hunting, but to control the population, they have to hunt bear. This year, the DNR made a mistake in their estimations of how many bear are around mom & dad's place and now the area is being overrun and the bear are doing LOTS of damage to people's crops and farm animals. It's sad, really.

Anyway, Dad worked long & hard to do this, so here are a few pictures to show off his bear!! :) He does plan on getting a half mount with it. I'll show pictures when he gets that done.

If you click ONCE on the picture, it will open up to a bigger view.
Here is a picture shortly after the kill. I can't tell if Dad's smile is so big because of how excited he is or if he's terrified that the bear really isn't all the way dead yet. haha! :) Live weight on the bear was about 260 pounds (that means that's how much it weighed before it was gutted).

This is how many guns that Dad brought with him for safety. Luckily, he only had to shoot one of them to get the bear. heeheehee... :)

Finally...a picture of his lucky huntin' hat... Can you guess who he was visiting when he got that hat?!?! :o)

Great job, Dad! This is pretty cool and I'm glad that you had a successful hunt! Love you!! :)

6 comments:

The Rancher's Wife Kate said...

Hunting Season is starting up around here. My boys are so excited. They are already wearing their bright orange hats and camo coats!
Love you new background by the way...yeah for the lovely rich colors of FALL.

Sarah said...

That's a lot of guns to haul around :D Looks like your dad had fun!

Meegan said...

LOVE the hat! That was definitely the lucky charm!!

Anonymous said...

Well the ole Woodtick must be some kin to Daniel Boone! I agree...that is a lot of guns!! Linda

Aleigh said...

Awesome job to your dad!! He definitely looks pretty proud and I love that you're just as proud of him!! :)

Sandy said...

Congratulations ole Woodtick!