Well, once upon a time, I planted a tree. A little pine tree. A pine tree so little that it looked something similar to this:

Then the little tree started to grow. It grew and it grew and it was
so beautiful!! Then my brother ran over it with a riding lawnmower and it wasn't so beautiful anymore. In fact, it was something akin to a stick. But my dad worked with it and ended up nursing it back to life! Again, it began to grow. It grew and grew and it was
so pretty again!! It was fun to watch the progressive growth...until my brother ran over it with a riding lawnmower again. No more growing going on with that little tree!! Turns out my dad labored over that tree (he helped me to plant it when I brought it home after starting it at school from a seed) and he worked and worked with that tree after Lawnmower Incident #2 and it turns out that the silly thing survived again!!! Here it is now, in all of it's lopsided glory:

Yeah, it
is a little lopsided, but so much sweat and agony was put into that tree to save it after two lawnmower attacks that now there is something extra special about it. So, that's my little tree. :o)
**
I think, though, that my brother has a small issue with running over baby trees with lawnmowers. I'm not sure if he's daydreaming while driving the mower around or what, but this darling little tree in the back of the house was another tree that Luke so graciously plowed over with the mower:

It seems to have survived OK and hopefully the thing won't be as lopsided as mine, but only time will tell, I guess.
8 comments:
What's up with the lawnmower and your brother? Those poor trees! I'm glad tehy survived.
Reading about your tree reminded me of when I planted a Redwood seedling at my parents house...actually there are now about 8 of them. They are so big now (at least 100 feet tall) after 20 years! It's amazing to think I held that little thing in my hand at one time.
Nice blog you have here. We have a lot of snow right now too. 9 inches! You must be on the West side of Montana. All the snow east of Cody just blows...it doesn't pile up does it?
I lived in Cody and in the Jackson areas for awhile back in the late 80's and early 90's. Now we live NW of Spokane in Washington. Absolutely loving the snow right now!
I meant to say Wyoming not Montana. Goodness, I was thinking WY but my fingers typed Montana...really weird!
Jen,
What a wonderful, lovely lopsided tree you have...
You better tell your brother not to run over it again!!!
I am hoping to plant some pine trees at our house after this winter. I will have to get some advice from you and your Dad.
Loved this post Jen, it brought back so many fond memories when I was the mower destroying the little trees. I generally had a motive, did your brother?
Interesting, Jona...I'm going to go talk to that little brother of mine right now! ;)
I had an ash tree that I got free for Arbor day once. I think I accidentally chopped it off with the weed wacker about 3 times before it finally gave up the ghost. :-(
HI! I've finally got some time to blog and I'm loving reading about your days in WI. Oh what glorious snowy, winter days!!
Your tree story is priceless, lopsided and all. I feel that way sometimes: Maybe not as lovely as I was in my youth, lopsided from repeated attempts on my life, but still alive and thriving and proud of it. :) Thank you Jen, for fun inspiration.
Post a Comment