Update (11.19.07): Seriously, everyone, have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!!
I've been in a reflective mood for a few days now and I have been pondering a lot of things about life. Here's what has been my most recent line of thought...
Do you know those moments that you experience where everything in life is just perfect and you are blissfully happy? Are you remembering just how you feel in that moment? "Just content." Yeah. I long for more of that.
That particular longing, though, has got me to thinking about some lessons I've learned. Really, who wouldn't want to be perfectly content like that all the time?! But we all know that it's not reality. Life happens and nothing is perfect. But who says that things aren't good? It reminds me of a definition that I heard one time about contentment. It was said that, "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but the realization of how much you already have." Someday, I hope to be truly living out that definition on an hourly basis.
But thinking of that got me to thinking about an experience of mine. About a year after I was diagnosed with cancer, I decided to go see a counselor. I was living in a world of fear and I was dealing with some severe anger and depression and the whole nine yards. During this counseling, one of my little projects was to create some positive thoughts so that I could work on positive reinforcement. I ended up coming up with the idea of creating an index card for each day of the month with one positive thought on it. Then, what I would do is carry one card around with me during the day and I would keep pulling it out and repeating the thought on that card to myself for the day. At the end of the day, I would put the card at the back of the pile and put a new one in my purse for the next day. It did wonders for me! Eventually, though, I put those cards away, knowing that I was doing much better.
However...every once in awhile I start to feel like I need to be reminded about what I should be thankful for. So, here's the deal...
In the spirit of the Thanksgiving holiday, let's start listing things that we are thankful for. Add to the list as many times as you'd like and then think about those things every day!! I will keep this post up for awhile and hopefully people will post comments to it and then if you need a lift for your day, just come here and read some comments. Maybe that will help you to take another step in your "blue" day. :)
Here is what I am thankful for:
* That my cancer didn't kill me...and that I feel like I've been given a second chance.
* That I feel like I have a good awareness of the brevity of life.
* That I can read (because there are a LOT of good books out there!!!). :o)
* Things or people that make me laugh. I love that. :)
* My family. Some days I am in awe over how spectacular (and special!) my family is.
So, there you go. I could go on and on, but I want YOU to keep adding to this list! Let your voices be heard! Tell us what YOU are thankful for!
13 comments:
I bet I'll be back later to add to the list, but three things I am thankful for right this minute are:
- my husband
- the fact that I have the use of my entire body. I am able to see, hear, run, etc. (which is something I need to think more of when I'm whining about exercise)
- knowing something of God's will and being able to learn more & more about it so I can fit into it, even though it's a struggle a lot of the time
Also, your index cards reminded me of this: In college my mom was going through a rough time, and she decided that one way to help herself would be to look every day for something that she considered a miracle. She still does that now, years & years later :)
Right now after a really good meeting, I am thankful for every person in it and the fellowship we share.
Renee in NE
We are thankful for friends that remind us to be thankful - especially because their experiences have made them stronger and that helps remind us to be thankful for things that make us stronger and in the long run end up making us more thankful as well.
Holly
I'm thankful for a roof over my head, money in my pocket to buy food, health, fellowship of family and friends, a loving husband & Family, a job, God's truth & way and experiences that make us realize just how precious & fragile this life is.
what am I thankful for?
~A second chance
~ordinary days
~the completion of an experience when we ARE thankful for it
~ones that walk beside us as we walk behind Him
~right words spoken when we need them most of all
thanks for this post!
I'm thankful for the invisible support of prayer from family, friends and those not even in our own country.
I'm thankful that I have an appreciation for the privileges we take for granted in this country.
I'm thankful for the lamb that was slain for me, the body that feeds me, and the blood that cleanses me.
Things I'm thankful for: God & his precious son; family; friends; and a somewhat sane...me! Oh, and a snowy day off from school...with a hot cup of coffee in one hand & a good book in the other! Amen...mom
There are so many things. . .
the many blessings from above
my wonderful husband
great friends
freedom
;)
First of all, I would like to add a hearty DITTO! To the other comments. But on a bit more of a superficial note, I would like to add that after a summer in a foriegn country, I am thankful for:
1.) Hot showers
2.) Washers and dryers
3.) Our abundant and well-stocked grocery stores
Very heart-warming to read others...and feel that "echo"! :) I'm thankful for today, fresh opportunities, mercy, hope, faith, revelation, correction, love, tears and laughter! I am thankful for stability of home and family, dependable ones, hugs and smiles...and I am so thankful for CHOCOLATE!! :) LW
I'm finding lately that I am more and more thankful - awed, really - by the love between the workers and friends. I've started listening specifically, and I don't think I've been in one meeting where at least one person (and usually more!) has prayed for the workers and the harvest. And listening in on the other side now, too; the enormous amount of love and care the workers have for the friends.
Leilani
Oh wow, this post has my heart soft. Thank you Jen for the post and all of you for your responses.
What am I thankful for? Oh where do I begin?! So much of what others mentioned is echoed in my heart. In addition I am so thankful for a God who understands and cares, who isn't distant and austere, but is instead a father who has a heart and loves His children.
I'm thankful for a God who doesn't give up on us even when we give up on ourselves. And Friends and family who pray for us when we can't (or won't) pray for ourselves...
Post a Comment