Thursday, April 17, 2008

The time is nearing.

For what, you ask? For my cancer tests!! And, boy, are things different this year. So, please...if you have nothing else to do, send as many GOOD VIBES my way as you can! I really could use them this year! :o)

Here's how things are going to work...you know how I have to do that strange diet (page seven explains it all)? Well, I don't have to be nearly as strict with it this year!! Wahoo!!! :) All in all, I'll do it for about 10 days before the week of the testing and then through the week of the testing. I used to have to do it for a good four weeks, including the week of the tests! Yuck! So, it's a little bit nicer this year.

Next...the testing is COMPLETELY different! I used to have to go off of my thyroid medications for the entire time that I was doing the diet (except for about a week) and that was awful. I've explained this before, but your thyroid levels hover between 0.46 to 4.68. When I would go off of my pills during the testing period, I'd have to get my levels up to 30. However, by the time all was said and done (all testing completed for the year), my levels would always be above 100. Always. Yikaroonies. How did I feel? This is how I felt. Sometimes, though, when they feel a patient is pretty close to "being in the clear" (aka, no more cancer!!!), they do things a little differently. And guess what? We're doing that THIS YEAR!!! Wahoo! This year, I only have to do the diet for about half the time and I don't have to go off of my medication!!!!!!!!!!! :o) Life is good. :)

My tests are going to run from April 28 to May 2. Here's how it works: I will stay on my medicine, but on April 28 and April 29, I will go to the doctor's office to have a shot that overrides the effect of the medicine. I will only be affected for about a week. I won't ever have to stop my medicine, either. Then, on April 30, I have to go and take a pretty little pill. On May 1, I have my bloodwork tested. On May 2, I have the full body scan. Then, I'm done. And if all comes back well, I'm done...FOR FIVE YEARS!!!!!!!!!! That's why I need as many good vibes as possible! Wahoo, wahoo, WAHOO!!! :o) However, if things come back negative (not good), then I'll have to have a radiation treatment and my "years of good tests" go back to zero. I have to have two good years of tests in a row in order to be cleared for five years. As of today, I have one year under my belt and this will be year number two. So, please...I beg you...send good vibes my way! I'll never ask for anything again! :)

Some of you have been inquiring about the testing time, so I thought I'd give a little update. I feel a bit anxious but ready to get this over with! It does help that the doctors are thinking that I might be good to go so they're doing the special testing this year. That really lifts my spirits! I will keep you posted with all of the goings on this year!! So, stay tuned!!! :)

13 comments:

Jeanette said...

Wishing and praying the best for your tests!

Keep us updated!

Gena said...

I am sending you all of the good vibes I can! Hope it all goes good!!

Anonymous said...

Sending best of luck from our corner of the world!!

Anonymous said...

You're always being sent "good vibes" Jen!! Talk to you soon. Love, mom

Hilary said...

Good vibes are on their way! And a long-distance hug too! And I am now going to use the word 'yikaroonies' at every possible opportunity :) :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, good vibes here they come!!! I wish you the best, Jen. Linda

Anonymous said...

We are all crossing our fingers and toes Jen!! :) Hope it goes well!

Renee said...

Good vibes and (((( heart hugs )))

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for testing! Won't that awesome to have it all behind you!?! Will be thinking of you.

Heather said...

Good luck Jen! we will be thinking of you and hoping for the best!

Mama Moe said...

So fun to find your site! Hope all goes well with your next testing. We'll be thinking of you.

It was great to find pics of Mel through your blog! Do you have an email address or something like that for her? I'd love to know how she's doing.

My fingers are crossed for you!

Love,
Nicole (Pilcher) Moe

Mel B Marvis said...

Good vibes....good vibes....good vibes. And I think I'll still allow you to ask for other things too. How's that for a bargain?

Anonymous said...

Jen....we're holding our breath as we send you good vibes! Thanks for keeping us all posted, we'll sure be thinking of you as you go through the process of testing!!
Sending lots of love and good vibes from us five!!