Tuesday, August 28, 2007

How do people "do it all"?

I've been sitting here wondering how people can "do it all" and still function. I just have been feeling like I have a FULL plate and I do not like it. Granted, I enjoy everything I'm doing but I realize that I can't do it all anymore. Right now I'm working a full time job plus I just took on another small job to be a travel accountant for one of my professors. On top of that, I am taking two classes from UW this semester. Both are Intro. courses for Communications and one is online and one is on-campus. In between all of this I need to keep my apartment clean, cook myself a meal once in awhile and try not to neglect my friends and family.

But how do people manage? How can one person maintain a go-go-go schedule like this? Where are the moments that you enjoy the NOW and where you take the time to reflect about life? What about just taking one day at a time and not planning everything out for the next week? Some people say, "Cut out the socializing!" but is that really the healthiest option? Others say, "Well, you choose to be in classes!" but what about wanting a better job that will allow me to buy a house and set up a good retirement fund and all that jazz? People seem to want degrees to pay you for what you already know you're worth. So, I continue to work on the degree.

I just keep thinking that there's got to be a balance somewhere. I guess that the trick is finding it. In the meantime, I just continue to inadvertantly neglect my friends and family or inadvertantly get behind in homework or my part time job...all while I struggle to find the balance. So far, it's not going very well.

So, if you've figured it out, share your secret. (You are welcome to remain anonymous.) Tell me what your method to the madness is. I'd love to know.

10 comments:

Emily said...

If I could give you any advice, you know I would dish it out freely...but I work all day and come home and relax while I think about what a taxing day I've had (right). I admire you for wanting and working so hard to 'do it all', and if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know (even if its not denying your friends and going out for pie :))

Anonymous said...

weel seems to the ol' woodtick deer jennie, you gots to remember 1 thing which eye trie to abide to myself, " don't worry bout tomorrow kus today ain't done yet !" you gots to take sum time fer yerself sews yer battereeze gets recharged, kus stop and thinks, if you go down frum stress and worry all yer stuff ain't gonna get dun anyway ! !so back up a little and slow down and gets you sum me tyme and it starts by saying sometime, " sorry, but i just kan't do that fer ya right now." it ain't no crime to just sits and thinks once in awhile and not dooes nuthin. done that plenty times myself and it gots me thru sum gad awful times. sew that's it fur now. love ya child.

Anonymous said...

There is something in the young mind that really does like this pace. Sometimes it seems overwhelming, and for that you need a teensy bit more rest. But the secret to managing it is enjoying it all.

Anonymous said...

C'mon Gin! The answers' easy - GET UP EARLIER!! Ha!

Melissa said...

You wanna meet me at the nuthose??!?!!!!

grmasusie said...

Something that has helped me when I feel overwhelmed is just "I will do "whatever needs done and seems too much" for 15 minutes then stop" I set the timer on my stove....this seems simplistic, but it works. What seemed such a mtn gets eaten up in 15 minute sections. It is amazing what you can get done in those concentrated sessions...studying, housework, relaxing...etc. Take time to relax for 15 minutes in between the busy sessions. Try it a couple of times and see if it helps.

Anonymous said...

I have 3 great weapons for misery...pray first, read next and always make time for exercise! :) I don't know that the pace ever weakens...with 3 children and a wonderful husband, a house to keep and all...but those 3 things still keep me smiling and sane! LW

Anonymous said...

Where is the time for quietly reflecting on things and enjoying life? My dear friend, that is what the morning is for!*wink* Sunrises, still mornings...aahh... they just make a person breathe deeply and feel happy. THEN you can tackle whatever the day will dish out...with a song and a smile. I say that with a big smile, remembering our conversations about mornings while you were here. For me, that really is they key though...to get up and going early and to keep a routine. When I fall out of that (and I do) things go downhill. I also adhere to Susie's 15 minute thing and believe me, it works!

Anonymous said...

I don't really have an answer for how to "do it all" but I agree with Lisa's 3 weapons! When I am feeling overwhelmed by it all, I try to remember this quote: "We are creatures of limits, so we must set priorities."

Mel B Marvis said...

I agree with Lisa and Michelle B, and my fourth "big rock" is to get enough sleep. When something has to slip for me, usually housework is the first thing since it's very low on the priority list. ;-)

I was wondering a similar thing that you did when I thought about some people I know who have a kid(s), a full-time job, and still seem to find time to do a bunch of cool things. I can barely get my work done and do a few uncool things. :)